Tuesday 14 July 2015

Inspiration: Irene Arango, from Nama Foods

Nama is probably my favourite health spots in London, the food there is just so beautiful and so delicious! It’s owned by two of the nicest people, Irene and Rich – I find them both incredibly inspiring as they’re so talented and creative, so I thought I’d ask Irene to come and chat to us about her favourite foods, turning her passion into a career, where she gets her inspiration from and lots more! I loved this interview so I hope you all love reading it!

e

Name: Irene Arango, from Nama Foods

Where do you live?

In London, we just moved house to have a garden and grow our veggies and have fruits trees and space for Ariana, our little girl, to play. The house is also close to Nama which really helps as I can be there at short notice when needed!

What sparked your interest in health and wellness?

It was love at first sight really. I was inspired by a couple who changed their lives & appearance massively through raw food. I tried some food made by them and since then started experimenting at home, bought a Vitamix, a food processor a dehydrator etc. I particularly focused on savoury food initially, and replaced so many elements in our daily meals for their raw food counterparts that suddenly as almost without noticing we were eating all raw food and feeling amazing. I think my diet & exercise routine was quite poor before and the changes were very noticeable. At the same time we also started doing hot yoga and meditation and the combination of all these changes was just incredible for us. That was the beginning of my wellness and health journey and I never looked back.

How did you build your passion for healthy living into a career?

It kind of ‘happen’ really. I used to work in the Telecoms industry but didn’t really enjoy what I was doing that much. When I started changing my lifestyle friends and people around me started noticing and trying out some of what I was making and they encouraged me to continue on that path. A few months in, I was delivering juices and food around London and really liked the feeling on making drinks and food that made people feel great. It made me feel great as well! Around that time I met Rich Havardi, who is my business partner in Nama and we started collaborating and teaching classes on raw food preparation, providing food at festivals etc and the idea of a little place of our own became quite appealing. We used to teach at a little café in Queen’s Park, a residential area in North West London and the owner rented us half the space where we opened a little tiny raw food café- the first NAMA opened its doors in January 2013. A year later we decided we needed bigger premises to be able to keep up with the demand for our food and moved to our own premises in Notting Hill in 2014.d

Who inspires you?

Lots of people really! I love reading healthy blogs and books with pretty food images. I have recently bought books by Rosie Birkett, Madelaine Shaw, the Hemsley sisters and Ella. I also find yoga teachers very inspiring in general as their motto of daily practice is also something to apply to food. Clean food everyday makes a difference in your life.

Favourite quote? 

“The greatest wealth is Health.” Unknown. It doesn’t matter what you have, without health you can’t enjoy as much anything else you might have achieved.

What is your biggest achievement so far?

I think opening NAMA and having a baby are the best two things I have ever done. Not sure having a baby is an achievement as such but it always tops first in any list on the best things in my life J

What’s your typical…

Breakfast: chia seeds, nuts and seeds, fresh fruits & nut milk or nut yoghurt. Green smoothie or juice, nut milk coffee

Lunch: kale salad or similar or the staff food at the café for that day

Snack: juices, energy bars, raw bounty style bars from Nama or dried fruits, nuts & seeds mix

Dinner: veggies and dips, gazpacho in summer

What’s your favourite dessert?

Raw tiramisu or our fermented blueberry cheesecake. Hopefully the first will be available at Nama as a special soon and I will be the first one there to order it!

c

What’s the best recipe you’ve ever made?

I think my raw falafels are the best recipe I have ever come up with. We have them in the menu at Nama and we serve them on a raw courgette wrap.

Where do you get the inspiration from to create so many awesome recipes?

Just from travelling and other cuisines really. Food markets are super inspiring with all the produce displayed for you to experience. I particularly love the street food markets in Asian and South America to get inspiration from as they have fabulous produce, so colourful and tasty. If I see a cooked dish that looks, tastes and/or smells amazing it is a matter of trying to accomplish the same using elements on a ‘raw’ way, so for example, to make a ‘pasta’ dish you would look for a vegetable that would allow you to create ribbons and then you would make a sauce to accompany it, blending the ingredients together instead of cooking them. Same look as the cooked version, but more nutritious, healthy and still super delish.

What are the ingredients you can’t live without?

Chia seeds, quinoa, banana, kale, tomatoes, garlic, almonds, cucumber & coconut.

Where are your favourite places to eat?

I don’t really go out for meals often unless is to meet friends, but I like Daylesford Organic as they use their own produce and its organic. I also like Wild Food Café when I am in Central London.

What do you do to stay active?

Nowadays I have little time to attend classes between taking care of my daughter and running NAMA, so I mostly walk. Pram pushing seems to be every mum’s favourite ‘sport’ 😉 I also do a bit of yoga at home and kitesurf when possible.

b

What is your beauty routine?

I don’t have a proper beauty routine as such really. I just clean my face everyday before bedtime and use a good night cream and again a moisturiser in the morning. For the body I use a cold pressed organic coconut oil. I wear little makeup

Do you have any favourite natural skin care products or awesome beauty recipes?

I love Ila Spa products and Neals Yard. I only use those two brands since a few years now and I can only say good things about them.

I started using coconut oil as make up remover and it works a treat!

Where’s your favourite place in the world?

La Costa de la Luz in Spain is my favourite place ever. I love to go there early June, September & October as then you have the beach just for yourself.

What makes you happy?

The sunshine, a good book and a fresh juice make me ‘extra’ happy. Just happy I am all the time really. I have the most amazing family & friends ever and I work doing something I love. There is not much more a girl can ask for.

Describe your perfect day

Wake up with the sun and stay in bed a little longer than I should, breakfast outdoors with lots of fresh fruits and juices and a very strong coffee, swimming in the sea, playing with Ariana, kitesurfing, reading, lunch with friends overlooking the sea, spending some time in the kitchen making food for a dinner under the stars with my husband Eric…

Do you have any favourite tips and tricks to stay healthy and happy everyday?

I think to be really healthy you need to have a certain level of happiness. Health is not something you only achieve eating certain foods, it’s a estate of mind too, so doing something you enjoy for a living, having a clean diet and surrounding yourself with people you love are the perfect combo to find health and happiness in life.

a



from Deliciously Ella http://deliciouslyella.com/inspiration-irene-arango-from-nama-foods/
via Free Spiritual Marketing

from Get A FREE Instant SEO Report @ holisticclients.com To Say Thank For Visiting! http://holisticclients.blogspot.com/2015/07/inspiration-irene-arango-from-nama-foods.html
via For Free Social Media Coaching Click Here

No comments:

Post a Comment